Serves as a key leader in the organisation by operation at senior level, impacting company strategy, and collaborating with department heads to drive continuous improvement. Plans, directs and manages the accomplishment of business unit engineering objectives. Provides professional technical guidance and ensures sound engineering procedures and effective use of facilities. Directs all activities and policies of organisational unit engineering efforts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports to and provides status updates to the Vice President of Engineering on a regular basis
- Works closely with senior staff and Engineering and Certification management to establish short- and long-range programme and operating goals
- Participates in developing company strategic plans, corporate initiatives and budget process. Implements and monitors performance of department plans and initiatives
- Promotes a “Right First Time” mentality throughout the organisation
- Serves as a role model and champion of Greenpoint values and culture
- Provides strong planning and leadership, which will minimise problems or conflicts and provide leadership in developing team-based solutions to problems as they arise
- Coordinates with Sales and Program Management to evaluate customer specifications, engineering and regulatory requirements, and pricing for new projects
- Focuses on workforce development by recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating and developing staff
- Practices proactive performance management, recommends and initiates promotions, transfers, and disciplinary action
- Oversees department activities to design and modify VIP aircraft interior systems
- Oversees the review and approval of supplier-generated engineering.
- Ensures adherence to schedule, budget and quality in accordance with programme requirements
- Partners with managers on recruiting, hiring, coaching, counseling and terminations
- Works with Senior Management to ensure the most effective company collaboration is happening across departments
- Ensures objectives for all departmental personnel are established and actively mentors and develops employees to support growth and development
- Serves as a member of the engineering leadership team and actively partners with other engineering leaders to calibrate and collaborate
- Works with leadership to set performance metrics, measure ongoing and hold teams accountable
- Partners with leadership to define roles and responsibilities to maximise productivity
- Provides coaching to leaders on best practices, company navigation and employee communication
- Analyses technology trends, human resource needs, and market demand to plan projects
- Provides direction and examples for interpretation and application of company policies and procedures
- Confers with management, production, and marketing staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, and customer demand for new and existing products
- Advises management of new developments which may affect profit, schedule, costs, customer relations, and/or inter-departmental relations
- Forecasts operating costs of department and directs preparation of budget requests
- Works with the engineering leadership team and holds managers accountable to develop creative solutions to most effectively support programmes, by efficiently working with tools, systems and procedures
- Resolves problems using solutions that involve new techniques, technologies, or concepts
- Holds managers accountable to keeping all team members working efficiently with tools, systems and procedures to optimize programme support
- Assists in setting the standards and processes for departments that will maximise efficiency, quality and adhere to programme schedule
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technologies which may improve operations and develops recommendations accordingly
- Maintains regular attendance including being at work, being on time to work and working full shifts
- Other duties as assigned.
Summary of Education, Experience & Certification
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in an engineering discipline (Master’s Degree desirable) with a minimum of 15 years related experience in the aerospace industry and a minimum of 10 years managerial experience with proven track record of effective team-building and talent development or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Employees working on programmes subject to International Traffic in Arms Regulations must qualify as a US Person which is defined as a US Citizen, a Permanent Resident who does not work for a foreign company/foreign government/foreign governmental agency or organisation, or a political asylee for legal compliance purposes.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong influential and collaboration skills
- Displayed organisational and interpersonal savvy skills
- Proven management skills, including leadership of high-performing team, employee development and effective change management
- Ability to evaluate the organisation and identify opportunities for improvement
- Displayed strategic thinking abilities
- Ability to work well independently and cross-functionally as part of an established and growing team
- Strong communication, time-management and problem-solving skills
- Excellent technical, conceptual and financial skills required
- Ability to motivate team efforts to accomplish goals, coach and manage a team including conducting annual performance reviews
- Ability to build effective working relationships, persuade and influence
- Proven ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
- Ability to read, analyse, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference and basic algebra
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Working knowledge of Database software; Design software; Internet software; Project Management software; and Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time, use hands to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and have close/color vision ability to adjust focus
Specificity of the job
- Ability to travel as required
- Ability to work outside of core business hours as required
Safran ranks first in Forbes’s 2020 list of the World’s Best Employers for its sector.
Safran Cabin is a world leader in fully integrated Cabin Interiors, Catering Systems and Cargo Equipment.
To apply for this job please visit www.safran-group.com.