The Vice President Engineering is responsible for cradle-to-grave design and delivery of their respective Aircraft Cabin Interiors product line (i.e. Floor To Floor, Lavatories, Galleys, Advanced Composites, Engineered Materials, etc). The Vice President Engineering must be able to design creative, attractive, reliable, market leading, cutting-edge products which are easily produced via a low-cost assembly process.
Summary of Duties:
- Works closely with senior staff to establish short- and long-range programme and operating goals and metrics
- Participates in developing division strategic plan, initiatives and budget process. Implements and monitors performance of product line (or BU) plans and initiatives
- Coordinates with Sales, Program Management, Commercial Aircraft, OEM customers, and other stakeholders to evaluate customer specifications, engineering and regulatory requirements, and budgeting for new projects
- Practice proactive performance management, recommend and initiate promotions, transfers, and disciplinary action for a global, multi-site engineering team
- Responsible for the creation of Technology Roadmaps for products, materials, and special processes, and provides support and ensures all R&T and Innovation supports these road maps
- Works with R&T peers and Division product Line Management to ensure Technology Road Maps are in alignment to Product Line Strategies and Market needs
- Works with manufacturing and advises on operational needs for planned new processes or materials
- Drives innovation to ensure Division sales opportunities
- Interact and interface with our external sales team and key customers to better understand our customers and market needs and demonstrate insight and innovation to deliver the best solution
- Responsible for recruiting, training, fostering, and developing world leading engineers and innovators
This position will report directly to the Division EVP responsible for those products and have dotted line reporting to our Cabin EVP Engineering.
Vice President Engineering provides professional and technical guidance to ensure that effective engineering practices, processes and procedures are developed, implemented and adhered to across the division. Ensures the most effective use of the tools and facilities is achieved. Provides direction to management regarding all activities and policies related to the product line’s design, engineering and production efforts.
- Personal Responsibility – Maintain clear leadership philosophy and build consensus around organisation values; make sound and timely decisions by taking calculated risk while assuming responsibility, evoke trust by being appropriately open, honest, ethical and consistent; you seek to eliminate inefficiencies and engage others; and encourage organisation, prioritisation, follow-through and time management
- Direction Setting – Create, articulate and inspire a vision for change; keep organisational focus on customer through expectations, involvement and feedback; recognise importance of teams and when to use them; and communicate expectations clearly while encouraging and recognising accomplishments
- Strategic Leadership – Analyse trends/benchmarking data, develop alternatives, and identify opportunities for leverage; set and keep focus on goals, utilise resources effectively, anticipate issues; articulate a vision and encourage innovation and problem-solving to support it; and display openness to new ideas, change and learning
- Organisational Management – Value and encourage professional and personal development through continuous learning; delegate and support decision making; translate strategic goals into actionable plans and remove obstacles; and maintain cross-functional relationships and gain cooperation and support.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline
10 years in a specific product line (Galleys & Lavatories or Floor To Floor & Composites); 5 years formal leadership experience with proven track record of effective team-building and talent development within a design and build organisation
- Proficient knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Aviation/aaerospace background and aircraft interior industry experience required
- Knowledge of industry standards, such as RTCA DO160, RTCA DO-254, & MIL-STD-810
- In-depth knowledge and experience in Research & Technology process
- Proven ability to effectively interface with global aircraft interior customers (i.e. commercial aircraft OEMs)
- Proven management skills including leadership of high-performing team, employee development, and effective change management
- Ability to work well independently and cross-functionally as part of an established and growing team
- Ability to build effective working relationships, persuade and influence, and problem-solve complex issues
- Strong communication, time-management, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent conceptual, technical, and financial skills
- Demonstrated experience as advanced user of productivity suites, Internet, MRP systems, and related financial, planning and purchasing software
- Strong communication, time-management, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to read, analyse, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time, use hands to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and have close/color vision ability to adjust focus
- Ability to work outside of core business hours and travel as required
Additional Preferred Skills (not required):
- Masters or MBA desirable
- Multi-site experience preferred
Specificity of the job: Up to 50%
It is the policy of Safran to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, colour, religion, sex, sexual preference, gender identity, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws. #LI-1KO1
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment and interiors), defense and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable and accessible. Safran has a global presence, with 79,000 employees and sales of 16.5 billion euros in 2020 and holds, alone or in partnership, world or regional leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes research and development programs to maintain the environmental priorities of its R&T and Innovation roadmap.
Safran ranks first in Forbes’s 2020 list of the World’s Best Employers for its sector.
Safran Cabin is a world leader in fully integrated Cabin Interiors, Catering Systems and Cargo Equipment.
To apply for this job please visit www.safran-group.com.