Beginning this month, US-based JetBlue is expanding its inflight entertainment (IFE) options on its aircraft equipped with HD seatback displays, with content including TV shows from Showtime, podcasts from Spotify, meditation and relaxation content from Inscape, and headline news from PressReader.
These partnerships build on the airline’s ongoing efforts to provide a “multi-screen experience,” which allows customers to use a range of devices simultaneously, including HD seatback entertainment, just as they would in their living room. The new IFE partners will complement the airline’s existing range of more than 100 free-to-access channels of DIRECTV, hundreds of free movies and up to nearly 60 full seasons of TV shows.
The content is complemented by JetBlue’s free-to-use high-speed Fly-Fi connectivity system powered by Viasat, which can be used to stream video and is available across the fleet, with expanded coverage being introduced on A320 and A321neo aircraft that will keep customers connected even over water or in international BlueCities.
“Almost 20 years after disrupting the industry with free live TV at every seat, on every plane – we are once again re-defining inflight entertainment by listening closely to our customers’ feedback and offering even more options to make the most of their time onboard,” said Mariya Stoyanova, director of product development at JetBlue. “Whether you want to binge-watch, binge-listen, connect, disconnect, or just discover something new – you can do it from our new HD seatback screens, your own devices, or more likely, all of the above.”
JetBlue’s new offerings include:
- Showtime: Customers can binge-watch full seasons of select Showtime series on their individual HD seatback screens. Customers connected to Fly-Fi can also take advantage of a 30-day free trial offer to the Showtime streaming service and enjoy unlimited, commercial-free access to the entire Showtime library – every original series, movie, documentary and more – all on their personal devices.
- Spotify: JetBlue’s newest collaboration with Spotify, the airline’s exclusive podcast partner, will bring podcasts from Anchor, Gimlet, Parcast and Spotify Studios to seatback screens. Titles include Business of HYPE, Conspiracy Theories, Dope Labs, Heavyweight, The Horror of Dolores Roach, and Superwomen with Rebecca Minkoff.
- Inscape: JetBlue’s new meditation partner, Inscape will keep travellers relaxed at 35,000ft with 20 curated inflight meditation sessions available on seatback screens, with topics ranging from ‘Flying without Fear’ and ‘Jet Lag Relief’, to ‘Inflight Mindfulness’, as well as breathing exercises and sleepscapes. Customers can continue their practice with Inscape by downloading the app to their personal device or by visiting their flagship studio in JetBlue’s hometown of New York City.
- PressReader: With the addition of PressReader, the largest all-you-can-read platform of newspapers and magazines, customers can enjoy unlimited access to thousands of local and national news publications and magazines, such as the Los Angeles Times, Rolling Stone, Newsweek and Vanity Fair, among others via the PressReader app. Travellers flying with JetBlue can register for 24 hours of free, unlimited access once connected to the airline’s high-speed broadband system. PressReader also offers an exclusive discount on a monthly subscription after the free access experience – US$9.99 for 15 publications.
The airline has also rolled out fresh content on JetBlue TV, the first and only airline-owned seatback channel. Curating relevant videos across a variety of verticals, the airline has refreshed its line-up to include new, short and mid-form digital content to appeal to a range of travellers. New content partners include:
- Food52 (food): Big Little Recipes, Hit the Road, Snack and More Ketchup, Please
- Houzz (lifestyle/design): A behind-the-scenes look at home renovations in destinations throughout the JetBlue network
- The Nantucket Project (business): A thought leadership series highlighting notable figures with impactful ideas
- PureWow (entertainment): It’s Wine O’Clock, Hack My Travel and Vacation Confessions
- Thrillist (travel): What to Know Before You Go, Gatekeepers
- Well + Good (health): Inflight Fit, You Versus Food and What the Wellness