March 17: The issue of battery safety has again come to the fore following an incident on KLM flight KL875 from Amsterdam to Bangkok on March 15, in which a battery from a TV crew’s drone unit, which was stowed in a bag in the overhead compartment, is thought to have caught fire shortly after landing.
Calm and swift action by the cabin crew meant that the fire was extinguished without great drama, as the footage HERE, filmed by passenger and Twitter user SixContinentChick (@Accone) on her cell phone shows.
Above: The KLM crew acted swiftly to contain the issue (photo credit: Twitter/@accone)
While the exact cause of the fire has yet to be established – and indeed the type of battery that could be involved – it is clear that as passengers bring onboard more and more personal devices containing batteries, they also bring safety implications.
For anyone concerned with battery safety in the cabin, we recommend you read our special feature on the issue HERE.