IBA’s monthly Aviation Industry Barometer for October 2022 highlights that Latin America continues to lead global capacity recovery, offering 99% of 2019 level Available Seat Kilometres (ASKs) during October 2022.
Our findings reveal that:
• Globally, there were approximately 2.41 million commercial passenger flights in October 2022, compared to 2.42 million in September 2022, while 2.17 million flights were recorded in October 2021.
• The recovery in monthly global passenger capacity was stable in October 2022, with flight capacity at 79% relative to pre-pandemic levels, the same level observed in September 2022.
• Asia Pacific flight capacity recovery remained low during October due to remaining travel restrictions across China. However, the capacity recovery across other Asia Pacific jurisdictions has been improving steadily.
• Latin America is leading global capacity recovery. The region offered 99% of 2019 level ASKs during October 2022, followed by North America, at 93% of 2019 level ASKs.
• There were 100 commercial aircraft deliveries in October 2022, representing a month-on-month variance of -14% compared to September 2022, and a year-on-year gain of 61% compared to October 2021.
IBA is a leading aviation market intelligence and consultancy company, with over 30 years of heritage and experience in aviation.