JetBlue has announced plans to add seven new restaurants at New York’s JFK airport terminal 5 – its home terminal – all of which will be chains that got their start in New York City. Construction will take place this autumn, with Melt Shop, Otto’s Tacos, Ovenly, Shake Shack, and the T5 Chef’s Kitchen due to open later this year, as well as to-go offerings from KorillaBBQ, The Little Beet and the first airport outpost of Lil’ Sweet Chick.
“We take our position as New York’s hometown airline seriously,” said Mariya Stoyanova, director of product development at JetBlue. “Rather than the typical chains, we offer customers travelling through T5 a real and delicious taste of New York from places that real New Yorkers frequent. Besides wanting to showcase all that our birthplace has to offer, we remember being a New York start-up and are always looking to give back to the community that’s supported us from the very beginning. As we add new T5 restaurants, we’re using our platform to support locally-grown and up-and-coming businesses the same way the greater New York community did for us.”
The new T5 restaurants in detail:
- Lil’ Sweet Chick – Along with fried chicken and waffles, Sweet Chick serves rustic but modern American comfort food including twists on classic dishes and home-baked desserts. The Lil’ Sweet Chick to-go concept will offer bites similar to the entrees available in restaurant’s locations on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and in Long Island City, Prospect Park and Williamsburg.
- KorillaBBQ – With menu items including tacos and burrito-style wraps infused with Korean flavours, KorillaBBQ began with food trucks offering an innovative take on Korean food. The original goal was to share the goodness of Korean food and culture. Now with restaurants in midtown Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn, KorillaBBQ has redefined Korean barbecue serving natural, healthy and fresh food.
- Melt Shop – Founded in 2011, Melt Shop claims to be the pioneer of the melted sandwich and offers a variety of melted sandwiches, tots, tenders, breakfast, beer, wine and shakes.
- Otto’s Tacos – This Mexican taqueria prepares tortillas from scratch daily, topped with seasoned and seared fillings. The menu includes Street Tacos assembled on fresh masa tortillas and signature dishes like the Gorgon, and sides like Masa Fries.
- Ovenly – Named New York’s best bakery many times over, the company creates treats that sit between savoury and sweet (think currant-rosemary scones or pistachio-cardamom cake).
- Shake Shack – Born in Madison Square Park in Manhattan, this modern day “roadside” burger stand is known for its 100% all-natural Angus beef burgers, chicken sandwiches and flat-top Vienna beef dogs (no hormones or antibiotics), spun-fresh frozen custard, crinkle cut fries and more.
- The Little Beet – The Little Beet was founded with one simple philosophy: to serve real food, deliciously. Inspired by local, seasonal and natural ingredients, the restaurant created a menu that offers wholesome food that makes you feel good about eating it, and even better after.
“These seven new restaurants will help bring the best of New York right to Terminal 5 and are another wonderful example of how the Port Authority and JetBlue are committed to providing a world-class experience for customers with a vibrant local sensibility,” said Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton.
These outlets will join terminal mainstays, 5ivesteak, Artichoke Pizza, Deep Blue Sushi, Piquillo and several other concessions that represent the wide range of flavours of New York’s culinary scene.
Other New York City-centric restaurants and stores currently in T5 include:
- Baked By Melissa – Famous for bite-size treats, Baked By Melissa began by offering cupcakes from a pick-up window in the SoHo neighbourhood in Manhattan. The cupcake shop now has 14 locations and ships baked goods nationwide.
- Bar Veloce – This New York wine bar serves a wide-range of wines, beers, cocktails and “Italian elixirs” paired with bites like bruschetta, paninis and meat-and-cheese assortments.
- Dylan’s Candy Bar – T5’s sweetest concessionaire and one of New York’s most recognisable brands, merges the worlds of art, fashion and pop culture with candy.
- New York Minute – This first-of-its-kind concept store in partnership with GrowNYC offers locally-produced products and sundries from New York City and New York State.
- WhereTraveler Books + More – In addition to national best sellers, magazines and travel items, shoppers can find museum-quality books and products focusing on New York City.